So with Windows Phone 7.5 “Mango” completed and sent to manufacturing, and Microsoft subsequently announcing a new build of Mango for developers, you might be forgiven for believing that Microsoft is, in fact, providing the RTM version of Mango to developers.

But they’re not.

As Cliff Simpkins explains in a blog post, that’s because the pre-release build we are now getting (build 7712) corresponds to the Windows Phone SDK 7.1 “Beta 2 Refresh” that’s also being released today. So it all makes perfect sense. :)

The process to update your phone with build 7712 is pretty straight-forward:

1. Make a copy of the backup you took when you updated to the Mango Beta 2 pre-release (which I’m sure you did) and put it in a safe place, if it isn’t in one already
  2. Return to Connect.Microsoft.com (we’re using the same program you were invited to join last month) and download the freshly posted files, which includes a new Zune client and a new UpdateWP executable
  3. Head to the Control Panel and uninstall the Beta 2 software (Zune client and UpdateWP) and tools (WPSDK) that you installed last month
  4. Install the new software and tools that you just downloaded from Connect
  5. Fire up the new Zune client beta (4.8.2134.0) to check for the new update
  6. Zune will then update your phone from 7661 to 7712

For those who may be inspired by this release and update their phone for the first time, you’ll notice a much more streamlined experience from the one we rolled out last month. Based on the feedback (and support tickets) from developers participating in the program, the process has been improved in two places. First, we’ve updated the server logic in the first update (739x -> 7401) to better account for ‘Walshed’ phones and phones that had the support tool run incorrectly on them. Second, the Zune client has been updated to link your updates into a single update run. The new Zune client automatically checks for new updates after it completes an update – meaning you only need to start the update process once and Zune handles the rest until you arrive at your final destination build (in this case, 7712).

Looks like I’ll be busy again today. :)

This entry was posted in Developer, Windows Phone. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Microsoft delivers pre-release build of Mango to developers … After RTMing the product?

1. So if i (hypothetically) used the windowsphonehacker tool, how could i get the new build?

2. Kip Kniskern says:

fwiw I checked >Settings>Phone>update in the first beta Zune, was notified of the update, and updated to 7712 without any additional Connect downloads etc.

3. Tim Smith says:

I didn’t do anything other than hook it up, fire up Zune and download the update. Ten minutes later I’m good to go. Much better than the three hours for the first beta. Then again I ran this update on a work computer as a guest so it skipped the backup. All is well and I now have twitter.

4. bitinkering says:

I’m on the road for business, so I rolled the dice and upgraded my phone even though it is currently a guest on the laptop I have with me. (I do have a NoDo backup with me, but if I had to restore I wouldn’t have been able to resync songs.)

Upgrade completed without a hitch. Facebook can’t seem to decide if I have the right password loaded or not, but everything else is running just fine. Thanks for the birthday present Windows Phone Team. :)

5. Thanks for the post highlighting availability of the B2 refresh. As you point out, the versioning of the phone release was primarily because it corresponded to the version of the tools we released. It’s also important to note that the build is a release candidate build, and not very far removed from the RTM OS build.

Thanks,
    Cliff Simpkins

6. c says:

I honestly think they are holding back on major features. Don;t all the Mango phones have FF Cameras now. With what native app will we use that with… hmmmmm. They most have another ace up their sleeve.

7. dsnewton says:

Same here upgrade was quick and easy.

8. lsobrado says:

dissapointments of the 7712 beta:

-still no calendar view that allows for weekly views of your schedule.
    -you still can’t read ANYTHING in the monthly view given things are displayed in 1.5point font and you can’t pinch zoom.
    -monthly view remains ugly as ever without day highlighting for weekends or speciald dates
    -local scout now moves the map around as you move sideways on the pivot, even though you seriously can’t see anything on the map anyways because it is too small. This causes the pivot control to stutter badly. The prior build didn’t have this problem.
    -the pretty office icons of documents in NoDo are still ugly green, blue and orange squares. I’m not sure what the Metro guys have against good visuals. This whole colored square thing is going too far.
    -the bug where if you subscribe to a shared calendar from another person, you own calendar thinks you’re attending to every single event the other person publishes and warns you about conflicts even if you’re not even invited to the event. This makes shared calendars useless.
    -still no color chooser for the themes. no gray theme either.
    -the new browser UI remains terrible. it now takes 1 extra gesture to do anything. from opening the tabs, to going to your favorites.

Nodo:
    tap tabs or favorites, pick your sites.
    Mango:
    slide settings bar, find your options (tabs or favs) among the plain list (there is no icon any more). Hit that, then pick your site.

This extra gesture is very annoying. Also I can’t find the word search functionality that was there in NoDo so searching for keywords in a page is now impossible. How can they lose a feature?

improvements of the 7712 beta:
    -much smoother animations on entry of a lot of the hubs such as pictures, office and people. they are clearly using the 2D projection transforms a lot better.
    -much smoother animation of the multi-task as well as home screen transition.
    -the mail app finally fixed the annoying flickering it had since NoDo and had gotten worse in the last mango beta.
    -twitter works finally.

Overall, except for the steps backwards in web browser UI controls as well as the uglyfication of the office hub, 7712 is very impressive.

• I agree with you on the browser UI taking several steps back in usability here. At the very least, let us choose address and button bar like NoDo, just address, or make it a swipe-bar that we can use as both an address or button bar by swiping left/right.

The search button animation still looks jerky to me, and the button’s usefulness has been more than halved by always going to Bing as opposed to going to in-app searching, and we still cannot search texts on the phone.

There are more features I’m still waiting to see, like Zune Social, audiobooks in the Zune Marketplace, magazine/newspaper subscriptions on the Zune, better birthday integration (not as an event, but more like a page with a link to FB to comment on the bday/anniversary), and a way to share YouTube videos on Facebook.

9. vhaakmat says:

I Updated mine yesterday. Except from the linked-in and twitter integration and added zune button in the zune hub, nothing much to see really compared with the last beta, which is somewhat expected. I guess it is more under the hood fixes that we got.

10. wqwalter says:

Paul,

Are you writing a update to Windows Phone Secrets to cover new features? Is there anything you can say now about syncing podcasts directly to the phone? In particular I am interested in whether the sync directly to the phone from the podcast marketplace also stays in sync with the same podcast synced to Zune. If I listen to part of a poscast on my phone that was downloaded to my phone over the air and then I get home and sync with my computer will the computer pick up the last listened to point in the podcast similar to the way Kindles keep all the devices in sync. I know it use to when everything had to go through Zune, but I was wondering if having the same podcast download to my phone and zune on my desktop would somehow normalize the progress between the two sources when i sync my phone and laptop?

Bill Walter

11. wqwalter says:

Paul,

Another Mango question. Have you seen any why to create a Podcast Playlist. I get a number of 1 – 10 minute news and technical podcasts every day or so. I would like to just push one button and listen to todays or yesterdays podcasts on the drive to work. Currently I am fumbling around every couple of minutes trying to find an unplayed podcast to start?

Bill Walter

12. manojkumar305 says:

I got my update automatically in the normal fashion, an update is available prompt popped up and I did the rest on Zune. Was this supposed to be that way?