Microsoft releases Windows Phone 7 “Mango” to manufacturing

So much for that August stuff :)

From the Windows Phone Blog:

I wanted to drop into the Windows Phone Blog briefly to update you on an important milestone. Earlier this morning, the Windows Phone development team officially signed off on the release to manufacturing (RTM) build of “Mango” – the latest version of the Windows Phone operating system. This marks the point in the development process where we hand code to our handset and mobile operator partners to optimize Mango for their specific phone and network configurations. Here on the Windows Phone team, we now turn to preparing for the update process. The Mango update for current Windows Phone handsets will be ready this fall, and of course will come pre-installed on new Windows Phones.

In May, we officially took the wraps off of Mango, a release including hundreds of new features that create a smarter and easier approach to communications and apps, while delivering the best web experience.

We can’t wait to get Mango in your hands so you can experience all the new features for yourself and give us feedback on where to go next. As we reach additional milestones we will be back to share more but until then, thank you for your support of Windows Phone.

-Terry

27 Responses to Microsoft releases Windows Phone 7 “Mango” to manufacturing

1. Tim Smith says:

Do you think with this being RTM’d now there’s any chance of a September release? At the very least for new hardware?

2. s80t699 says:

Well, now we get to do the exciting carrier release speculation exercises. (In the US now we can measure Verizon vs. the other three from the same starting point.) Overall, good for Microsoft on this since its certainly got to RTM faster than anyone could have imagined.

3. So this mean that the mango update will come before september? and the Iphone 5 laungh?

I don’t think it means that. The tools won’t even hit RC until the end of August. That’s public info. So I’d guess we’re still a ways off.

4. Do you have any info about lauching in Brazilian’s market?

Regards,
    Paulo Oliveira.

5. bpsmicro says:

I’m not sure this is good news. Beta 2 of Mango was still missing many features oft-requested by users (just browse the answers.microsoft.com forums). While they’ve added some stuff, they’re still missing a lot. So I can see a lot of screaming unless they’ve stuffed in an awful lot of code in the past few weeks. I was looking forward to another Beta/RC drop with more of the missing features implemented, but now I’m worried they’re not going to be there.
    But heck, maybe I’ll be pleasantly surprised. :-)

6. bitinkering says:

Boy I sure would like to get the RTM build via tha AppHub, because I know that Verizon isn’t going to released it until they’ve released a dozen more corded, I mean Android phones.

Test it on the HTC Trophy (The Mango Beta has been working just fine on mine thankyouverymuch) and release.

7. Paul how does this Jive with the Toshiba-Fujitsu announcement this evening?

8. viyano says:

I found it great that they gave us (developers) access to the Mango beta but I couldn’t understand why they wouldn’t let us use MS Connect to file bug reports and give feedback. But I am confident that somebody actually read our posts on the feedback forum (right, fat chance).

9. Eric Jones says:

Paul,

Earlier this year you reported your sources as saying Mango may not make it out this year. You than reported that Mango would not be released until September. Now you are posting the public announcement from Microsoft that Mango has been released today, July 26. Do you know any Windows Phone Secrets ?

Yeah, but they’re all technical in nature. The sources that told me it would be late were not the same that had repeated use the GA + 1 schedule, btw.

10. guidorobben says:

build 7720 is TRM

11. Edward says:

As long as 3rd party multi-tasking becomes available, I’m happy.
    Right now, many of the apps are utterly useless, since they quit working if the phone rings. GPS track loggers quit, countdown timers quit, anything that needs to continue running in the background quits.

Two other basic things I hope they included:

a) A timer for the “vibrate only” ring mode, so it will go back to ‘regular’ ring after a set amount of time. I am very frustrated by having to set the phone to vibrate, forgetting to reset it to ‘ring’ and missing multiple phone calls. My 5 year old ‘dumb’ phone allowed me to set a timer (for example for 2 hours while at the movies) after which the ring would go back to normal.

b) A separate volume for the alarm clock feature. Turn down the volume of your phone, and it turns down the alarm clock. Listen to something at a low level in the evening, and forget to turn the volume back up, and fail to hear the alarm the next morning because it is so low in volume.

My ATT Samsung Focus still has not received the minor security update… I don’t have high hopes
    for the Mango update becoming available for those of us with ’1st generation’ phones.

12. banstyle says:

Looking forward to the next Chevron update. :)

13. Shane Nokes says:

Paul, this is why I’ve questioned your sources before, and why I made my comment to stay tuned in the other thread ;)

My sources are Microsoft employees. That’s why I’ve never questioned them, that and I actually know them personally.

Turns out in this case, the schedule we’ve looked at is for the tools, not the OS. I accept the blame, of course.

14. Tim Smith says:

Well a bunch of places are saying that at the fujitsu announcement it was said Japan will get a mango phone first and in September. Definitely good news. Hopefully the US gets it in September as well. http://www.wpcentral.com/toshiba-fujitsu-show-is12t-windows-phone-mango

15. Wade Douglas says:

Paul – Do you think this will have an impact on how carriers will accept WP7 more? Articles I have read are stating that carriers are not pushing WP7 to consumers. I am curious to see if carriers will be more willing to suggest WP7 over Android and the iPhone considering that now Mango puts WP7 on par with those OS’s.

16. techESC says:

Paul;

Are you using the same build that you based your Mango review on?

I was just wondering if you had a chance to experience the full Twitter integration and other features that were not fully implemented in the preview build.

I was hoping that maybe you could crowd source all the Mango features or improvements for an addendum to your book.

Unless I missed it, Microsoft hasn’t enumerated all the new features in a single list yet.

Thanks,
    - Mike

Yes, I’m still using the same developer beta build. Twitter is not enabled. I’m eager to see that as well. I was told that Microsoft would not make a “500 features” list, which I do think they should supply as well.

17. There is so much in Mango (I tried out the Beta2 using the tools that quickly appeared and then reverted back to NoDo via a backup) that I can’t wait for this update (going back to NoDo has made me appreciate the new features even more). I’m sure if MS do give developers early access to Mango RTM there’ll soon be a way for everyone to access it although most likely you would need to restore from a backup once your carrier/device specific update was available.

I was disappointed to see in that post on The Windows Blog that MS will still be giving carriers control over the release of this update especially with new devices being launched. I fully expect carriers to focus on selling new devices instead of testing an update for existing phones. I also don’t understand why OEM drivers aren’t baked into the update code during development?

18. Will Mango allow WP7 to play music through the USB port on Ford’s SYNC system?

• chrislux says:

I’m going to guess NO Brian. I was pretty bummed by this too at first BUT I actually prefer using the bluetooth connection (still allows track changing, play/pause, phone; just not the voice commands).