Samsung Focus v1.4 to get NoDo soon

You may recall that Microsoft was surprised to discover that Samsung had secretly shipped a number of Focus firmware versions, some of which have caused problems over time with various Windows Phone software updates. The most problematic of these firmware versions, v1.4, is responsible for causing a handful of Windows Phone users to not yet receive any Windows Phone update so far this year, including 7008 (the “pre-update”) and 7390 (“No Donuts,” or “NoDo”). But now Microsoft reports, finally, that’s changing:

Updates for the Samsung Focus v.1.4 at ATT have been tested. We’re now expediting scheduling.

When the update is ready for your phone you will receive an alert, then you connect your phone to your PC to download and install the new software. You’ll receive 2 back-to-back notifications. The first is for the 7008 update. Once installed, you can then immediately update to 7392 (which will also include the 7390 “copy and paste” update).

I assume this stuff will be completely sorted out by Mango, but then that raises another interesting issue. The previously released updates have been extremely minor, and many wireless carriers held up delivery of them for quite some time. What’s it going to be like when a truly decent update like Mango ships?

Phonageddon?

20 Responses to Samsung Focus v1.4 to get NoDo soon

1. paschott says:

What could possibly delay Mango if there are new devices coming out around that time with Mango already installed? Oh. Wait…

Somehow I get the feeling this will result in a bunch of new work-arounds to get Mango without going through the carriers, especially if they hold up testing for months like last time. However, I can also see Samsung devices possibly getting more delays if we encounter more discrepancies with those phones like with NoDo. Really hoping those are all ironed out by now.

2. unndunn says:

I’m hoping this includes those of us who got 7390 but haven’t received 7392 yet…

3. dkb1898 says:

NoDo was actually a pretty descent update, in that it made the phone much more usable. Between the marketplace crashing, and waiting forever for apps to load, I would not for the life of me want to go back to the original build.

4. EJ says:

This is embarrassing for msft and Samsung.. Att doesn’t give a crap.. Its always the end user who .

5. EJ says:

Mango is about to go live and the focus hasn’t gotten any freaking update.. Screw att.. Greedy mother

6. human1 says:

I have yet to get the 7392 update for my AT&T Samsung Focus. I will be highly pissed if, 4 months after it’s released, I still can’t upgrade to Mango. I’m been pushing WP7 to everyone I know, but even I would lose faith in Microsoft and WP7 if it takes months for existing customers to upgrade to 7.5.

7. Brian Murphy says:

I believe being on ATT and having both a Samsung Focus 1.3 and a Samsung Focus 1.4 the odds are stacked against me for having this update delivered to my phone in 2011. Will I remain quiet and sit patiently by waiting for my Mango? Hell no! I will be more vocal than ever on the Windows Phone blog. I hope they have this figured out!

8. markps0966 says:

That’s fine and dandy. I’m just wondering when my Focus will get the 7392 update (received NoDo a couple months ago). My wife’s Quantum received 7392 two weeks ago (finally) but I still haven’t received mine. I’m wondering how many other v1.3 versions have not yet received 7392.

• paschott says:

I don’t think anyone on a Focus on AT&T officially received 7392. You can unbrand and re-brand through some registry hacking and you may get it, but no promises there and I don’t know that it’s worth the hassle.

9. Sometimes I’m glad my Focus isn’t v1.4

10. Pingback: Samsung Focus 1.4 NoDo Update Out Of Testing, Now Scheduling - All Phones

11. ironwoods says:

My family has two Focus v1.3 phones. Does anyone know whether they will be included in the update for 1.4?

• paschott says:

You should already be able to upgrade to 7390. 7392 is a security patch and no idea whether or not AT&T is skipping this or not. I seem to remember it’s in testing for most devices. You’re not missing a lot except the certificate fix, from what I recall. Now if you’re not on NoDo yet, that’s a different story. AT&T released some useful updates along with the NoDo update.

12. Well, looks like owners of 1.4 rev Samsung Focus phones are getting the 7392 update. However, looks like owners of 1.3 phones are not. I can only speculate as to why, but if I had to guess I’d say it’s because they’ve only finished testing the update that takes 1.4 devices from 7008 to 7392. As 1.3 devices are at 7390, now they need to finish testing the update that takes 1.3 devices from 7390 to 7392. This at least gets everyone to NoDo.

13. gahbmwm5 says:

Yes this is interesting, as I too have Rev1.3 and am still am on 7390…These questions have been asked on the Windows Phone Blog, and will be curious to see if they will be ‘officially addressed’..
    As long as Mango goes very smoothly (hoping for the best_crossing my fingers…lol) I’m presently ok with the update process…Glad to see my fellow colleagues with Rev1.4 ‘finally’ received NoDo and SSL security updates…(7392)…as those withe MSFT_Dev accounts could not even try the Mango Beta 2 files…. Many people assumed that the update process couldn’t differentiate between a 1.3 and 1.4 phone….but MS proved that incorrect…Oh well will patiently await what is next…lol
    I did really like this comment from Eric H.:

“A few months back I explained that you may occasionally receive a notification of a hardware-specific update for your particular Windows Phone. These updates improve things like battery life, call clarity and touch responsiveness – to name a few examples. These updates are designed to make specific improvements. Not every phone around the world needs the same package of improvements. In some cases no update at all is needed. I wanted to remind you of this because some of you will start to see these types of updates soon, and I wanted you to have a little insight into what is included. It’s all part of keeping your Windows Phone in tip-top shape.”

14. roteague says:

When you read the Windows Phone Team blog, there is no mention of the Focus 1.3 getting an update. The WP7 team acts like a regular three stooges when it comes to supporting the phone …

15. Aditya says:

“expediting scheduling” this the funniest or rather the best part.. :p

16. jeffgeno says:

It seems like the testing the carriers do has more to do with the process than the content of the update. It’s no coincidence that the phones that went through the most carrier testing (also known as everything released by Samsung) had the most problems receiving updates. Now that it seems they finally have the process complete, newer updates should go more smoothly.

And while the update process has been rough so far, as of now every device has been updated in about four months from the initial patch availability. That’s better than most Android owners have it.

17. Has anyone else noticed no volume in calls after the update. Ever since the update I am feeling lucky to get two good calls before I have to reboot my Focus and it is really irritating.