Rafael is reporting that Yahoo has finally fixed its broken IMAP implementation, which was the primary culprit in the Windows Phone data leak issue that was first uncovered in the comments section of this blog. Here are the details:
Back in January, I wrote about a Yahoo Mail issue that affected smartphones such as Windows Phone and the iPhone. To quickly summarize, whenever a smartphone checked for new Yahoo mail, the server would transmit more information than needed. While not a huge problem on desktops connected to broadband, it was huge in the mobile space – a space in which carriers snipe bandwidth hogs and users oblivious to their data usage and monthly allowances.
After discovered the problem, I made it habit to log into Yahoo every few days, checking their “imapgate” software version. Today, I was pleasantly surprised to see they had upgraded from 0.7.65_12.286037 to 0.7.65_14.298026 fixing the issue. I can’t say when this happened precisely, but I suspect it was rolled out earlier this week.
So good news, though I suppose just not using Yahoo would have solved the problem as well.