About those Windows Phone Chicken Little stories…

Please stop sending me stories about how terribly Windows Phone is supposedly doing in whatever market. I have an RSS reader too. And in case you haven’t figured it out yet, I’m pretty prolific. You should note what I choose not to write about in addition to what I do write about. Not everything is a legitimate story.

What I’m trying to say is that these early reports don’t provide any credible figures. But even if sales are as bad as all get-out, you’re forgetting one thing: It almost doesn’t matter., because Microsoft is in this for the long haul. They’re going to continue pushing this system ahead, and pushing it to developers and users.

Put simply, Windows Phone is already more innovative than anything offered by Apple or Google in the smart phone space. And it’s only going to get better over time. I’m not just comfortable with my phone, I recommend it to others and prefer it over everything else out there for myself. Windows Phone is just demonstrably better. There are few products where it’s so black and white. Maybe that’s what has the other side so freaked.

And before some Apple sycophant points out that I’ve been writing about the ways in which Microsoft needs to fix Windows Phone, my response is simple: Right. I’m supporting Windows Phone users here, not cherry-coating it for the delight of some corporate overseer.

74 Responses to About those Windows Phone Chicken Little stories…

1. danj67 says:

This is hardly news… WP7 is a new product in a market where two other systems have been florishing these past few years…..

I find it amusing that anyone even expected Microsoft to change the tides over night…..But I have a feeling they might over the long haul…:)

2. Well said Paul. If you’re interested, I’m involved in a Social Review of Windows Phone 7 in Australia which you can see here: http://rcandelori.wordpress.com/

3. roteague says:

Great response Paul. I have no doubt that Windows Phone 7 will do quite well over the long haul; a few better choices of hardware, some software updates and time (along with continued advertising) and the phone will become more popular. Right now, it’s unknown to a lot of people out there.

4. oakleymandave says:

I’m with ya Paul I highly recommend WP7 to everyone I know.

5. publieus says:

I second your post. I have an EVO, an iPhone, a retired BlackBerry Bold and a Telstra HD2 and I use nothing but the focus. It is not perfect but it is great and only gonna improve. Most people that see it are usually impressed.

6. interframe says:

As VP of Windows Phone engineering, Terry Myerson, says: “I think when we look back on the release five years from now, this was a foundational release, not the release that broke through. We’ve got some tough competition……I think about this really as a first release, a first release for this new team.”

He and his team were the underdogs when he led the Exchange team a decade ago, and we all know what happened down that road.

(Good article that CNET did a while back, BTW, http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-20007973-56.html?tag=mncol;4n)

7. jj1075 says:

Thanks for not ruining my sundae with a crappy cherry coating, I’ve always appreciated that. I’ve played with the Windows phone a bit and I’m on board. My contract with ATT runs out in Feb. and I’m finally getting into the 21st century and picking up a smart phone. Any information regarding new phones hitting the market by then? The Samsung Focus is nice-especially the weight and the fantastic screen. It’s what I’d choose if I had to right now but I don’t want to focus (sorry) on that model too much in case there is something on the horizon I should be looking out for. Anything I should watch for from Motorola or some other vendor who hasn’t shown their cards yet? I’m also open to switching carriers but ATT has never been bad to me, so I’m open in that regard.

Thanks,

Jeff Jackson

8. nicholas1029 says:

I’m also with you Paul. After using iOS for two years, WP7 is like a breath of fresh air. Sure iOS is great, but the novelty of it wears of quickly and then you’re left with the reality: it’s just an overglorified app launcher. WP7 does away with that with excellent first party hubs from Microsoft.

As for those people counting sales numbers, they need to look back at Android. It had horrible sales when it first launched. Now look at it today; it’s pretty widespread. I’m certain the same will happen with WP7 in due time.

• aldob1 says:

I couldn’t agree more. I think the iPhone was the first great delivery of a smartphone in a world of crappy phones and this included Windows Mobile. But in essence, the iPhone is a glorified app launcher–although Apple did it right and used touch the touch interface properly.
      But, now in comparison, the iPhone looks old, dull and not nearly as much fun as the Windows Phone 7 implementation.

9. Ian says:

Nicely said Paul…

I read such articles about how poor Windows Phone 7 does, but I still know those aren’t for-sure statistics.

How great it would be if Microsoft released some fantastic figures when they finally do. Even if they don’t WP7 all the way!

10. I agree with you that it will be a great platform, Paul… I know you see it coming… However, I think there have been some big mistakes made. The largest is how poorly marketed this thing was. As a radio man, I can honestly say that MS should move on from their advertising agency. Those commercials did nothing to build any buzz on this great product.

Next, Microsoft could have really stepped out in front and tried to deliver a bit more support. A number of us have issues with the phones and I know MS is trying to leave that in the phone manufacturers ball court, but that isn’t necessarily working. I have an issue on the focus where music (from my Zune Pass) will start to skip or pause a few songs into what I am listening too. I can’t get a straight answer from MS or Samsung as to whether this is software or hardware. Others are having the issue and I don’t know if I should take the phone back or hang tight. They need to get out there and give us some definite answers as to the KNOWN bugs. I would have a ton of respect for them if they would publish a list and say “We know these things are messed up… Hang tight, we are working on it. It’s not your hardware”.

That is just me, though.

11. jeffdalydose says:

Yeah, I’m tired of seeing the same tired sourceless headlines about the demise of Windows Phone 7. I have and love my Samsung Focus. Also, while in Coffee Bean this morning this guy who is developing for iPhone and Android came up to me and wanted to play with my phone for a bit. We might have yet another new developer in the WP7 camp. Niiiiiice.

12. rkotike says:

i am on sprint and i am waiting for WP7 phone. there are many like me who are waiting for the phones to arrive on sprint and verizon.

13. joe0507 says:

Great response Paul, I agree wholeheartedly, I’m amazed how so many of these tech sites are jumping to conclusions about unverified reports of slow WP7 sales numbers.

As a new Samsung Focus and iPhone 4 user I find Microsofts newest mobile OS fresh and innovative , yet the anti Microsoft Bias is hard to ignore, this isn’t about some sites reporting factual information, this is more pro Apple/Google propaganda .

I see some parallels with WP7 and the introduction of the first XBox many years ago, the hatred were chiding Microsoft for even having the audacity to bring something to market when they felt clearly should only be Sony and Nintendos game…yet Microsoft persevered and the XBox came along nicely and is now the dominant platform .

My point here is really about having strong choices i’n the mobile OS space, yet once again certain members of the tech press are clearly hoping that Windows phone 7 flops, highly unlikely but you have to wonder if some of these geniuses are on someones payroll.

14. stonefree75 says:

Paul, while I do think WP7 has its merits and some interesting observations, you can’t spin what seems to be happening as good news. There is no doubt that WP’s success will be heavily dependent on developer support. MS’s blocking of developers’ access to sales reports and postponing payments for a few months are VERY bad omens. There is no denying that this will prevent new developers from coming on board (good luck getting Angry Birds), but will also discourage existing developers.

Spin? I’m not spinning anything. I’m responding to spin.

• nulldev2010 says:

Nothing new with the missing app sales reports. For XBox Live launch, apparently it took 5 months before reports were generated. For WP7, MS said the payout system will start in January 2011. From what I’ve seen, it doesn’t seem like a big deal nor a surprise to many developers.

WP7 doesn’t need any luck getting Angry Birds. WP7 user base is sure to keep increasing and I’m sure they will come ASAP with or without being asked.

For whatever it’s worth, WP was always getting Angry Birds. That was blown way out of proportion.

15. palavering2u says:

Paul: I haven’t read any legitimate journalists predicting the demise of WP7. And I don’t have a personal opinion, because I haven’t had any hands-on experience with the phone. That said, I would like to suggest that you give less personal opinion and more objective comment about all that you write about (and you are very prolific!). I am not nor have I ever been an Apple fanboy, but Apple is innovative, much more so than MSFT, which always seems to lag behind in almost every category: you have written such comments yourself, Paul. I would also add that the iPhone, the iPod, and the iPad have set new industry standards for smart phones, portable music devices, and slates. I do hope WP 7 does well; the competition would drive down prices and serve the consumer well. At last, it appears to me that you have an axe to grind with anyone who disagrees with you. I hope I am not barred from this site again, because I occasionally annoy you. I respect your skill and your enormous output very much.

With regards to your central point, the problem is today’s Internet. Site A published unconfirmed report about whatever, and that gets published and republished around the web as fact. And it gets done by legitimate journalists as well as blogger hacks. This is reality.

I’m mature enough to understand that people have different opinions, and I respect that. But there is a big difference between differing opinions and out and out biased BS. And that’s what I’m responding to, not to someone who disagrees with me. In this case specifically, I’m responding to unsubstantiated reports. It’s not a matter of agreement. I don’t actually care what the facts are with regards to Windows Phone sales. I’ll report on it either way. But I’ll have to wait until something believable is actually reported by a legit source before that happens.

And for the record, I’ve never “barred” anyone from this site. I’m not even sure I could do that.

16. Chris says:

Here’s what I don’t understand. Apple users used to take pride in their (somewhat delusional) fact that they “thought different” and used a Mac. It was cult like because they were the computing minority. Now these same people are chastising you if you don’t use the same phone as them, which is one of the dominant platforms. I hope the irony is not lost on them.

17. Eh… demonstrably better? In some areas, I’d agree. As a whole, no. If all you want to do with your phone is email and Facebook, then the WP7 is for you. I have some big concerns with the UI as soon as I get as many apps installed on my WP7 as I do on my iPhone4. And DRM’d videos? There are some huge E2E scenarios we’re still missing here.

The hardware is still no where near as good at the iPhone 4 (mainly talking screen quality). I’d love to have WP7 running on my iPhone4, but my Focus is hard to read for semi-long periods of time; no problem with the iPhone4 reading for hours.

It’s a promising phone and I do agree that current sales numbers mean very little. After all, it was a very unfortunate time of release and people are still locked into iPhone 3Gs and iPhone 4 contracts. Without Verizon, it’s going to be a steep hill to climb on AT&T.

18. swarnock2525 says:

Excellent Post! I could not agree more. It’s so refreshing in today’s tech blog world to see some consistant objectivity. This is why I follow Paul’s posts and webcasts.

I have noticed a definate trend myself, when I show current feature phone user’s my Samsung Focus, they are amazed at how “smooth and simple” everything is and not the complicated phone they feared when the term “smartphone” is brought up.

When I show it to other smartphone users, it get a “meh.. It looks nice”. The smartphone has become a status symbol rather than functional.

19. tblowdermilk says:

Paul –
    As usual, you’re spot on. Weird though. I almost emailed you this morning to commenting the latest slew of these types of articles (queue Twilight Zone music). In any event, I think Apple has unfortunately clouded our perspective of what a “successful launch” looks like. People assume that if people aren’t sacrificing their first born to get their hands on the latest gadget, it’s doomed to failure.

20. rjohn05 says:

hahahaha. I love this post. I am forwarding it to all my friends.
    I am waiting for WP7 to arrive on Verizon. Can’t wait!!!

• fearthed0nut says:

WP7 on Verizon is coming early next year. Isn’t the iPhone coming to Verizon next year as well? It will be interesting to see how much (if any) impact WP7 will have on those sales.

21. Karthik says:

Finally, great to read a sane bunch of comments and a nice post. The amount of BS being written on WP7 is abominable. I am in Switzerland, and I’ve struggled to get an Omnia — I ordered it on 3-Nov and got it on 26th! And, it’s already out of stock for the next set of customers!

As you put it so well, “Criticising WP7 is like tripping a little child learning to walk”. Most issues that people crib on are minor and fixes are really coming up.

And, hopefully 100,000s of devices are already out, and seeing them, people will truly flock to buy :).

BTW, could we start some sort of a petition campaign to get Microsoft to rebrand its Phone OS :D?

I have the Omnia and it totally rocks. It’s just beautiful and so much nice on the eye. It makes other OSes look a bit dated. Also, it’s my first smartphone and I am really loving it…

22. gpsarakis says:

I agree with you Paul, but you know these stories will keep popping up until MS gives people some official sales numbers. The fuel that drives this fire if you will is how quiet MS is on WP7 sales when they’re talking up Kinect like crazy, but of course 2.5million in 25 days is big news regardless. Still, it’s the silence that’s keeping this thing going.

Let’s be clear. Windows Phone is never going to outsell the iPhone or Android. It doesn’t have to though. It’s like being chased by a bear: I don’t need to outrun the bear. I just need to outrun you.

• huwjones says:

? Don’t you mean that you DO need to outrun the bear? The point of the analogy is that you don’t need to outrun the other person (i.e. come first – in a bear-race, or sales of phones) but you don’t want to be so slow that the bear gets you!
        On the other hand I’ve drunk a lot of wine, so I may have misunderstood…
        For the record I am sick and tired of crap ‘blogposts’ like these which supposedly herald the immediate death of the Win7 phone – it’s all such breathless, tedious nonsense, and the internet is just full of it. I’m a UK resident, and at the moment am holding back on a win7 phone purchase until a) new models become available here and b) there is tangible evidence that MS will update the platform. I’m 100% sure that both of these things are coming but I will wait nonetheless.

BTW – excellent book Paul – am currently reading the Kindle version.

Now for a proper question. I have a hearing disorder which means that I normally have to boost the right audio channel in order to hear sound over headphones correctly (i.e balanced in the centre of the audio stage). Does any win7 phone offer this functionality, which used to be common in audio devices years ago? Is it part of the specification of the software? Apart from any personal reason I think it ought to be – hearing disorders are very common.

23. vsameer says:

Paul, you are dead right. It does not matter if v1 is going to be a groundbreaking success or not. If quality of v1 is any indication then we can expect it to be much much better that iPhone and Android in years time. remember iPhone 1 or worst still Google G1
    I have been using iPhone for last 3+ years and really enjoyed it, apps were high quality but at one some stage it got boring, everything looked same and dated. I never tried Android but did played with it on friend’s phones, in my personal opinion it’s a substandard UI and developer experience. They earned their success by getting the timing right to fill the void. good for them.

What upsets me is, the conviction amongst some of the ‘Californian journos’ that WP7 is definitly going to fail because there is no need for 3rd player. If you look at reviews by TechCrunch/GigaOM(and likes) they wren’t even ready to say it’s new and innovative UI. I don’t blame Mac fanboy blogs for doing the same, atleast they have chosen a side, but these supposedly neutral blogs don’t know tech world beyond Apple and Google.

I’m not saying MS is the most innovative company, but they did get WP7 right and I’m very happy with it, there are some shortcoming and I expect them to be fixed in future.

• joe0507 says:

Good point, and I think the California tech journal is part of the problem, there seems to be a prevailing attitude That if it’s not from some company i’n the valley ..it doesn’t matter.

24. having just switched from feature rich (often at expense of reliability & security) Android 2.2 I have to say I am loving my Windows Phone 7…loving it…to the point as much as I miss tethering/copy&paste in my android phone…i have still not switched back to my android phone, it hasn’t been switched on once since i using my wp7.

it is such a solid, quick & easy to use OS, i love the design, and look forward to future feature upgrades…

i would reccomend anyone sceptical to give it a try, it just works, brilliantly.

25. jkavanagh58 says:

Thanks for this post sir. I too recommend Windows Phone 7 hands down. I think Apple changed the game, something I am thankful because the market needed the shake up. I used a Droid for a year, admittedly I was just waiting for this phone the whole time, it was my device and I tried to enjoy it. Yes it was cool but a huge source of frustration. I enjoyed your post about what Microsoft could do for WindowsPhone, it was more of a wish list than a bash of the platform, and no matter what the platform, we are all looking for advancements. I am not sure I want some of those “sycophant” users on the platform (just listening to engadget mobile podcast echoes that point). I have been using Zune since Gen1 and the lack of 3rd Party devices is a disappointment but overall I like it being a niche product. Sure, Microsoft doesn’t want that but its nice having a community that is passionate about the product and not just a status symbol.

Apple absolutely changed the game.

Apple is also busy consolidating its lock-in product strategy now, however, and the iPhone is suddenly the safe choice, not the interesting choice. As I jokingly told an iPhone-toting friend recently when he checked out my WP, aghast at how nice it was: “Hey, the iPhone is still fine. For women. And, apparently for you.” :)

26. sk says:

It’s clear that MS is in this for the long haul, but some of the nagging issues (mentioned in your post from a couple days ago) need to be fixed as soon as possible. Not only that, but MS needs to add new features to further distinguish WP from Android and the iPhone. Apple has been doing a great job of this, while Google has pretty much been copying Apple.

I remember when the Zune came out, it had approximately a 3% marketshare. Microsoft, however, was always a couple of steps behind Apple in terms of features and the marketshare numbers only went down from there.

Right. Fortunately, the smart phone market is a different (and international) game. And the iPhone is already number two, so anything can and does happen.

27. I retired my BlackBerry Bold and got the Samsung Focus. This device is unbelievable. Screen is beautiful and as mentioned by other people, using PH7 is just different and refreshing. Since I picked up my device on Sunday, 2 other people in the office have got one.

Yeah, I always enjoy when people talk up the iPhone 4 screen. They clearly have never experienced AMOLED or the Focus in particular.

• Really, because I use both the iPhone4 and the Focus daily. More pixels in a smaller space produces higher quality renderings. Comparing text at similar sizes is night and day better for the iPhone4. On the Focus, it seems like every third horizontal pixel space is black; this is really obvious in the Twitter client or if you set your background to white (which you shouldn’t as that’s a huge battery drain).

The WP7 OS is a nice product, but let’s be honest about our comparisons, the current WP7 hardware is not better than the iPhone4. From build quality, to touch responsiveness, to screen quality. Better than the iPhone3Gs, ok. But still second to the iPhone4.

• fearthed0nut says:

Paul,

As someone who doesn’t have an iPhone 4, but a Samsung Focus, can you (at some point) give a quick list of what makes the Focus screen better (is it crisper, better colors, etc..)? Usually, the default answer from an iPhone user is “RetinaDisplay” makes it better…. But can’t elaborate more than that.

Cheers.

You don’t have an iPhone 4?

l already explained this elsewhere.

28. Roeland says:

Hey Paul, I went to the grocery store today, and when I asked the nice lady how many Windows Phones she had sold, she gave me a worried look and she said “zero”. So, yeah, they probably are doomed.

Seriously though, I agree that those first sales reports don’t mean anything. And yes, Windows Phone seems like a serious competitor in today’s smartphone market.

But I do have a problem with this:

“Windows Phone is just demonstrably better. There are few products where it’s so black and white.”

You just can’t say something like that about any one of these products. The question “which one is better?” does not have a simple answer. Instead, you should ask “which one is better for … purpose” or “which one is better for this kind of user”.

I mean, do you think Windows Phone is the best choice for a long time Blackberry user, who can type a million words per minute on his hardware keyboard; or for a geek who likes to mess around with the system software; or for someone who manages all of his media through iTunes; for a young person, whose phone gets smashed to the floor every now and then; an old person who thinks his Nokia 3310 has way too many features; is it the best choice for managing your OmniFocus task list on the go; …

I understand that it can be *your* best choice *most of the time*, and that’s great. But the black and white stuff is not true.

When I say “demonstrably better”, I mean it. But I’m referring to the overall platform, of course. It’s not “my” best choice, though I feel that the Focus is my best choice. That’s not what I mean. I mean that Windows Phone is superior to iOS on iPhone or Android OS on whatever device. You can step past the actual platform and look at number and quality of apps, etc. I’m not nit-picking. I’m talking about the platform.

• Roeland says:

But “what’s better overall” still varies between users, no? Different people value different things. The aspects of Windows Phone that make it “better overall” could be stuff that’s not so important to someone else.

And then, you should also look at the use case. Lined paper is “better” than graph paper for writing a letter, but not for drawing geometrical shapes.

The definition of “best overall” should be something like: “best for most people, most of the time”. But that’s impossible to measure.

29. Bryant Avey says:

You’re right Paul. I’ve had my Windows Phone since it came out a couple of weeks ago and love it more and more everyday. When I got my 1st iPhone it took them over a year to finally address issues they had and to add important features such as Cut/Copy/Paste, etc. The truth is that there are so many things to love about the WinPhone that the issues are overlook-able.

I’ve had a 32GB micro-SD card in my Samsung Focus and have virtually no issues with it at all. The WinPhone environment is so fast and rich feeling, I’ve completely forgotten about my old iphone.

I liked your comment about Microsoft being in a long position and that it’s all about the developers. The truth is that developing apps for the WinPhone and developing games using the XNA framework plus Silverlight make this platform the one best of bread over and above WebOS, Android, Palm, and Blackbery.

Microsoft had the best development environment out there. The XNA framework is extremely solid as is Silverlight. I’ve had a number of hard-core Java gurus, programmers and fan-boys tell me that once they saw the Silverlight demonstrations, they realized Silverlight was a Java Killer.

Microsoft wins this battle. The rest of the world will just take a while to realize what happened.

30. bit101 says:

I’ve given up really caring what people think or say. Everybody latches on to their favorite technology item and bashes the others. Personally, my Samsung Focus is the best device I’ve had. I love the hardware, love the OS, love programming for it, love the developer community of Microsoft. As long as Microsoft keeps it around and keeps improving it, I’ll be happy. If it’s not number one, no problem. If it’s number 3 or 4, that’s fine.

31. I do agree that the slightly higher resolution of the iPhone 4 is a selling point. But put them side by side, and it’s sort of a toss-up, visually. I find the Focus to have a superior display overall, especially for text, largely because of the superior font treatment in the OS.

Umm… ok. By superior font treatment you must mean larger default size. Look at any font rendered smaller than the default size and you’ll see fuzzy or garbled text.

960×640 vs. 800×480 is not slight. That’s a lot more pixels (384k vs. 614k) in a slightly smaller space. To put it another way, the Focus only has about 63% of the number of pixels the iPhone 4 has.

Compare the HTML mails from notifications from your site on your WP7 phone and on the iPhone 4. I can read a majority of the comments without scrolling once on my iPhone 4. No where near that on my Focus; I actually have to scroll down before I can read any of the message.

There are some things better on my Focus, but saying the screen quality is a toss up and that font treatment is superior on the WP7 is just flat out dishonest.

32. oslik says:

I’m going to get my WP7 phone in a week or two. I’v developed two apps for WP7 in the emulator and I want to finish and polish them on a real device. The sad thing is I may need to use ChevronWP7 to do it. Because I live in an unsupported country.

Which is my only and strong argument against Microsoft. This is something like a new Big digital divide. Some private companies create successfull wallet gardens and and pick and choose some privileged countries into it. I understand the economic reasons and I fully support the the freedom of business, but still… There is some kind of corporate global social responsibility in place too.

ChevronWP7 doesn’t solve the ditribution issue. I want to publish my apps in the marketplace and I’m forced to find some middle man or to create a foreign company – Ltd., LLC etc. But at least with Ch. I could finish my programs! Which is quite mandatory step, I guess.

33. tblowdermilk says:

Paul —
    Another ongoing commentary that drives me nuts are the folks that claim that Microsoft’s advertising campaign (“Really?”) is a “miss”. These people act like the campaign’s sole purpose is to get Apple/Android users to exclaim: “HA! That commercial was funny! I’m going to throw away my phone now!”
    Curious what you think about Microsoft’s advertising efforts. What advice would you give Microsoft’s marketing agency if they asked you?

I think the ads are great.

That said, until Microsoft dramatically expands what’s possible via live tiles and online services integration, most people will use Windows Phone the same way they use other phones. And for the record, I’ve bumped into stuff while looking at my phone.

• swarnock2525 says:

The “Really?” campaign is not being marketed to existing smartphone users. It’s targeting the much larger market of a feature phone user who always has seen the “smartphone” as too technical for them.

This is why you hear other smartphone users say silly things like WP7 is too late. They seem to think they are being targeted directly.

This reminds me of the early PC days that Paul wrote about recently. I was firmly in the Atari ST camp back then and could not figure out how a IBM PC and/or compatible would ever make it! We considered the Amiga a threat (sorry Paul!) and nothing else although it was light-hearted and we all learned from each other.

Absolutely. I felt the same way. In fact, had “Really?” been a catchphrase back then, we would have said it every time we saw someone using a PC.

34. Paul,

Does you music ever pause when you are in the Zune app? I notice this alot on my Zune Pass stuff. It usually does it towards the end of the track.

35. Get this, the AT&T store told me “Oh, you just need a new SIM card”. How stupid is that. What in the world does that have to do with Zune?

I think they were buying time. I heard another salesperson say they were out of Windows Phones until the Friday shipment. I suppose this BOGO offer is getting them out, which is good for the OS and Microsoft.

I’ll go back Friday and exchange it. The store people must think customers are stupid.

Out of phones? But according to every Apple site on earth, no one is buying them. :)

• I know, right. This was the super size AT&T store in town. It is a very good phone. I know the update will make it even better. I just want a ‘known bug list’.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you commented that this thing isn’t going away. I would imagine it is going to become a great device in rather short order. That screen on the Focus is just a monster. That is the thing most people comment on when I use it… How beautiful the display is. No one ever said that when I whipped out the iPhone 4.

• For what is worth, my second Focus has the same pausing on the same Zune Pass content. I am going to assume that it is an encode/decode issue that will be fixed.

I wonder if you pay the 99 to have a Windows Phone Development account if you get beta firmware, like I do on my Apple account… Paul, do you know?

I don’t know, sorry.

• Since I have ‘threadjacked’ you a bit with the stuttering issue, Paul, I felt it was my obligation to report my final findings.

I have reproduced with a group of people over at a Windows Phone 7 board that there is a bug in some songs on Zune Pass content that causes pausing on the Samsung Focus. It is can be reproduced by downloading the track and playing it via headphones or the internal speaker and letting the screen lock take effect. We have done it on a number of songs and the bug followed the song.

If you are interested in checking it, download ‘Sleazy’ by Kesha (or Ke$ha), I can’t remember the spelling. Start it playing through the speaker and set your phone down. Close to the end, it will pause, then complete.

Definitely an encoding/decoding issue. One of the people on the board reported it to their Microsoft contact after reproducing. Hopefully, it will be fixed.

• Chris says:

To your question RE: Developer Firmware. Judging by this Engadget post, I’d say devs do have access to beta/Pre-release builds.

I’m not part of the official dev seeding program, but thanks.

36. juanguapo says:

I’m all for competition and I hope this Windows Phone does well. However, I am not seeing anything that I personally would give up my iPhone for.

37. talksavvy says:

im so glad someone summed up my thoughts exactly!