A little less than a month ago, I wrote a post, Windows Phone 7 data usage, in which I described my data usage experience with Windows Phone. Since my latest monthly billing period with AT&T just ended (on November 2), it’s time for the first update. In order to keep things in perspective, I’ve edited the chart below to include April 2010, like the first one, since that month was cut off in the new report.
But I also needed to make another important change to chart. You may recall from the first post that I had divided the chart into “iPhone” and “Windows Phone” sections to indicate where the data usage came from. Looking at this month’s chart, I can see I got the dates wrong, by a month. (My billing period ends on the 2nd.) I started using Windows Phone exclusively in early July, as noted previously. But I had placed the dividing line
forward too far forward incorrectly before. Here’s what it looks like now:
(Edit: I’ve redone the chart in Excel and will use that going forward.)
As you can see, that’s a pretty serious jump (almost double) in usage from September to October. This could indicate a number of things–increased app store usage due to more available apps and/or my just traveling more over the newer time period, for starters, but when you compare it to the other Windows Phone usage months, it’s not actually that much higher than the average over July-October (which is 189.06 MB).
But even with this amount of information, I think I’d be leaning more towards AT&T’s 2 GB plan, as opposed to the lower end 200 MB plan, simply because I’d probably have to micromanage data usage otherwise. (And AT&T excellent myWireless app is now available on Windows Phone, by the way, which would at least make that possible.) I happen to have unlimited data because I was grandfathered in, but if I was starting fresh, that’s what I’d personally choose.
Then again, maybe I need more time. If data usage dives in November, I’m not sure what to think.
I’ll keep tracking it…