Pick a free sample chapter from Windows Phone 7 Secrets

I’m a bit behind in posting a free sample chapter from the book in PDF format, and Wiley is letting me pick which to provide. So I’m curious if there are any preferences for which chapter we post for free. The full Table of Contents can be found here. Let me know which you’d like to see the most. I’ll pick one by the end of the week.

Thanks! –Paul

This entry was posted in Windows Phone, Writing. Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Pick a free sample chapter from Windows Phone 7 Secrets

1. riceboyler says:

I’d like to see Chapter 15 Digging Deeper into Phone Configuration, personally. Man, Monday cannot come soon enough!

2. TJ says:

Chapter 3.

3. markjritchie says:

My vote is for chapter 16

4. adamucf says:

Chapter 6 (Zune) is my vote.

5. vsameer says:

My vote is for Chapter 3 ‘Understanding the Windows Phone User Interface’

I’ll be getting the Kindle edition.

6. buckstermcgee says:

I would say chapter 3:

“Chapter 3 Understanding the Windows Phone User Interface.
    The Way We Were: How Microsoft Screwed Up Mobile So Bad It Had to Start Over from Scratch.
    A New Beginning: Metro.
    Real World Metro: A Whirlwind Tour of the UI.
    Hubs and Applications.
    Summary.”

This chapter seems to get at the heart of what Windows Phone 7 is; it’s this heart that makes the platform so exciting and worth looking into; it’s also the main advantage why WP7 is better than the competitors now, and will blow them out of the water in the months to come; And if those competitors want to keep up they will have to do far better than imitating individual features, as it’s really all or nothing with WP7; to express it in one word: Metro.

7. swarnock2525 says:

I think Chapter 4 makes the most sense as it seems to highlight what I think is one of the strengths and competetive advantages of the phone.

My personal preference as someone who has researched every known feature of this phone is Chapter 15.

8. tiwahu says:

Chapter 15 Digging Deeper into Phone Configuration.

9. woodg says:

Foe me it would have to be Chapter 10 – Email. I’ve never used email on a phone before and use Outlook on my PC all the time, so I have a lot to learn.

10. Matthew Smith says:

Chapter 1 Pre-Flight Checklist: What to Do Before You Get Your Windows Phone.

Based on what you’ve said previously (and on a recent podcast), setup is probably the most important.

11. Adam Haider says:

I vote: Chapter 15

Since WP7 was launched, virtually every YouTube video on WP7 shows the exact same thing (Metro UI and the hubs) yet never spend enough time going into the settings and explaining how to configure the device properly. So I’d definitely appreciate reading ‘chapter 15′ of your book — configuring and customisation is most crucial aspect of owning a smartphone imo.

12. Karthik says:

Chapter 15 Digging Deeper into Phone Configuration. :)

Thanks for your wonderful blog!!

13. willgoacher says:

Another vote for Chapter 15.

Even with a device, hopefully some things will still be secret by the time I get the book!

14. I also agree with many of your comments – The Settings chapter would be the most interesting. I’ve seen demo after demo of Hubs, Xbox etc, but nobody has spent any time looking through each page of the settings, so that would be very useful to post. I plan to buy this book soon (I’d say it would have to be online through Amazon though, because I sadly don’t think they sell it here in Australia).

15. skinnypig118 says:

My vote is for Chapter 15: Digging Deeper into Phone Configuration. Thanks Paul.

16. legosz says:

Chapter 15 gets my vote, followed by 16 if you’re allocating preferences to unsuccessful candidates!

17. sdbritton says:

Chapter 15 works for me. I can probably figure out most of the other stuff by reading the manual… just joking! I plan to buy your book Paul! Need to save up a couple more dollars.

18. gheymann says:

I’m leaning to picking up a WP7 device Monday, If I do I’ll most likely pick up a copy of your book as well. Not sure if it will replace my Android as my main phone but should be fun to play with. I have been enjoying your Windows Weekly podcast with Leo LaPorte. Regards…

Chapter 3 Understanding the Windows Phone User Interface.

A New Beginning: Metro.

Real World Metro: A Whirlwind Tour of the UI.

Hubs and Applications.

Summary.

19. hoody7 says:

My vote is Chapter 3 but looking forward to buying the book as soon as available.

20. commo22 says:

Chapter 10 for me. Email is the one place where I’ll be in most of the time and need to know that it will work just as good as it does on some other phones.

21. riceboyler says:

So, Paul, it’s the end of the week… :)

(I’ll admit, I’m just wanting something more to ready while I wait the long hours (+1 thanks to the end of DST) until I can go buy my Focus.)

Thanks for being willing to do this!

22. Definitely Chapter 15, looking forward to checking out whatever comes out as I have yet to read one of your books, but have been listening to Windows Weekly for about a year now and I am looking forward to reading Windows Phone Secrets.

23. I bought the book (at a local bookstore), so it doesn’t matter I guess to me. When I browsing it, before I purchased it, I read most of chapter 12, and saw what I liked, and decided to purchase it.
    I also appreciate all the advice you provided in chapter 1.
    Are you working on a Metro update release?
    I suggest you add a chapter on a more technical topic. It would explain (to a corporate manager or a business person) how the Windows Phone fits into mobile business processing. This is of course greatly enhanced/enabled with Mango. You could provide what is required to create (corporate) apps, such as a server/cloud-based notifications. It would include what kind of skils are needed to create apps, or how much retraining of your web developers and designers is required. JAT.
    Thanks for writing this book. You have provided a great perspective and insight on this device.