Audible on Windows Phone 7: Not so fast

Sigh. You know, given my previous experience waiting, literally years, for Audible to support Zune, this should come as no surprise. But it’s still disappointing.

You may recall a post from a few weeks ago in which I noted an exchange between Audible and a listener where Audible claimed it would support Windows Phone “within the next month.” There was some nervous joking at the time that Audible probably meant Windows Mobile and not Windows Phone.

It might not be a joke. I just received another email exchange between Audible and a listener. And this one isn’t so positive.

Thank you very much for contacting Audible.com about the upcoming Windows 7 Phone. As of right now, there is no information regarding the release of this application for the Windows 7 Phone. However, the version will eventually be supported once we have resolved the current issues with the Audible Air Application for 6.0 and 6.5. This being said, there is no estimated time frame or release date for this device.

So cross your fingers, or sacrifice a goat, or whatever it is you do to make good things happen. :) This could take a while.

This entry was posted in Online services, Windows Phone. Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Audible on Windows Phone 7: Not so fast

1. vsameer says:

Does Wp7 play audible content at all? atleast via the built in Zune app.
    I don’t think Microsoft will be so ignorant not to include support for it!

thanks

No. It’s not Microsoft’s fault.

• vsameer says:

Of course it’s not Microsoft’s fault to not have Audible app, what I meant was people like Brandon Watson should be focusing on having audible integration at launch.

I always hear Leo saying Audible works with Zune HD and hundred other devices. As WP7 has Zune app I assumed audible would just work.
        How much ever I like WP7, I can’t switch till it can play audible.

Well, this is all about Audible dragging their feet. Microsoft has certainly reached out to Audible.

Who knows, they may surprise us all.

2. gpsarakis says:

It sounds like we’ll get it just not anytime soon I suppose. If they’re having problems with porting the app from WM6.x to WP7 I’m sure MS can send out a crack team of devs to work with them.

3. Damnit! Audible is 90% of why I own a smartphone, and while I’m happy they will be fixing AudibleAir, I’d rather they focus on porting Audible to WP7. I can’t buy a WP7 device until it has Audible.

4. mcrommert says:

So on my zune hd i can just sideload it via the audible manager. Even though wp7 wont have a native app couldn’t they easily give support in audible manager to be able to put it under an audiobooks tab in zune like on the zune hd?

Right. That’s what Audible needs to do at the least. But I think Audible has moved in the direction of native apps, and I suspect that will be the WP solution.

5. wolfgangva says:

Paul,

Any word on if Windows Phone 7 supports visual voicemail? I really enjoy that feature on my iPhone 3G and plan on moving to WP7, but would miss Visual Voicemail.

This How-To: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-us/howto/wp7/start/check-my-voicemail.aspx makes it seem like no visual voicemail.

The core OS does not support visual voicemail, no.

• mcrommert says:

Looks like they are going to have a google voicemail app on launch though unless i’m being fed bad information. This should be even better than visual voicemail so you might want to check it out.

6. rodkay says:

Here is the reply I recieved from Audible (31 Oct) in regards to Audible client for Windows Phone 7 ….

As per your email inquiry, we have not been notified of a development in the making of a Windows Phone 7 client. I am so sorry that we are not able to provide further information at this time. I will forward this information to our developers for future releases. Thank you for your time and patience.

Sincerely,Angelys R. – Customer Service Representative
    Audible Customer Support

7. vsameer says:

Here is reply from Audible. and it’s not good, Looks like I’m carrying 2 devices for long time to come!

Thank you for contacting audible.co.uk
    Apologies for being the bearer of bad news, I have just heard from our device team who have said that there are no current plans to release an app for Windows Phone 7 as they are concentrating on the iPhone and Android apps and are awaiting to see the popularity of the Windows 7 Phone. I will keep this email on record and if we do release an app then I will drop you an email.

However, I do have an alternative short term solution for you. We currently have an offer with Amazon which will entitle you to £50 off a selected iPod or AudibleReady mp3 player if you sign up to us for a year. Although officially you will not be eligible for this offer as you have a membership with us I can certainly apply it for you if you like. The selected devices can be found here http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_85701613_5?ie=UTF8&docId=1000367713&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=0QFKF57EY8HMFQ1262Y7&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_p=47272547&pf_rd_i=1000367803

8. mcrommert says:

you know i really dont care if they make an app…i would much rather they just update their software to allow you to transfer audiobooks to a tab labeled audiobooks in zune…works great on zune hd and since the sync solution is very similar it shouldn’t be too hard…btw audible manager is the oldest looking piece of software currently on my computer…its straight up ancient

9. mcrosser says:

I’ve been following this thread since I got my phone on Novemeber 1, the HTC HD7 (which I love). I do want audible, so I wrote them as a customer for six or seven years. Below is their reply, which I found very positive. I would suggest anyone to find their contact info at audible.com and send them a suggestion to add support (even if they are already doing it, it may show the need is greater than even they realize!).

—————————————————–
    Dear Matt,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us here at Audible. I will be glad to assist you today.

It is my understanding that you are inquiring about an audible application for the Windows Phone 7. I apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced. We are continuously evaluating opportunities to expand the Audible platform, and are excited to bring additional wireless access to Audible customers in the future. Unfortunately, the Windows Phone 7 media player does not currently allow playback of Audible content. At this time I can’t provide a time frame as to when this will be available, but we are working hard to make this possible soon.

If you would like to be a part of future beta testing or to be notified of a future Windows Phone 7 application, please send an email to audiblewireless@audible.com. Please feel free to contact us if you have any further questions.

Have a great day!

Sincerely,
    Jennifer R.
    Audible Customer Support
    ————————————–
    Working hard to make this possible soon! And beta test possibilities?

• erenken says:

Yeah they really can’t blame this on the media player. They can build their own client and processtheir own streams of data. They have DRM anyway so I would think they would need to do something like this anway. I just emailed to that address above. So missing audbile on my device. They really just need to abondan their work on the 6.0 6.5 client anyway. What they have is good enough for that aging OS.

10. bw022 says:

Folks,

You do know that there are programs which will convert the audio files to .mp3 or .wma format? It’s an extra step, but you can use the Audible Manager to download the files and then convert them to .mp3s on disk. Several programs will even split the files into separate .mp3s for you.

There are issues with that, the biggest being that it won’t always remember your place. There’s nothing worse than trying to manually figure out where you are in an audio book.

• bw022 says:

Didn’t say it was ideal. However, if you break it into 5 minute segments, the file will be in your history list so you can just play it again and you only have to fast-forward through a couple of minutes.

11. ocdgeek says:

In my opinion if you’re holding out on buying a new Windows Phone because it currently lacks a particular application then you’re only adding to the problem. If we want this new platform to succeed WE need to support it. I was also holding out due to lack of a Sirius XM application but I decided the best thing I could do to get key apps to Windows Phone was to support it by buying a device now. I’m dumping my iPhone 3G as soon as my Samsung Focus arrives via Amazon!

12. Mid June…. Still no app.. :(

Without injecting my own personal preferences here, I’d just remind people that Audible’s delivery schedule for a native WP7 maps very nicely to the supposed wireless carrier indifference to WP7: If the demand is there–i.e. users buying these phones–both situations would change overnight. We can get all uppity about it, but these companies are supporting the platforms that make sense to them. Not the ones that make sense to us. We can dislike that. But we should understand it too.

13. It is now July. I’m getting so impatient with Audible.

14. Jerry Bandy says:

I signed up for Audible after listening to Paul on Windows Weekly. I finally picked out a free book and tried to load it onto my HTC Arrive using the Zune HD setup and then the Windows Mobile setup. No luck. I’m hoping that more apps like Audible will be supported when Mango comes out in a few months. Until then, I will try to load the book onto my old Windows 6.5 phone (Intrepid). Also wondering if my old Sansa mp3 player will support Audible?