Sent from my Windows Phone

One of the more annoying things about the iPhone, I think, is the "Sent from my iPhone" signature that’s automatically added to every outgoing email. When the iPhone first came out, I went through a series of replacement signatures like "Sent from my iPhone, which explains the misspellings" or "Sent from my iPhone, sorry." But now I just get rid of it all together, though every time I reinstall I always send at least one email before realizing it’s there, and then I disable it.

Anyway.

On Windows Phone, Microsoft has predictably added a similar, auto-generated signature to email, which of course reads, "Sent from my Windows Phone."

And originally, I wanted to turn it off for all the same old reasons. The thing is, you go into Settings, Email & Accounts, [Account Name] and there’s no option for the signature. It’s nowhere to be found. Someone had early on made a crack about this signature to me over email, but I couldn’t see a way to turn it off.

Since then, of course, I’ve completed a chapter in the book about the Mail app. And oddly enough, when you access your account settings from with the actual Mail application (Application Menu, Settings) , instead of going in directly through Settings, you’re brought to a completely different Settings screen. This screen has two options, "Sync Settings" and "Use an email signature." If you tap Sync Settings, You actually navigate to the Settings screen that’s accessible through the Settings UI described above. But the email signature stuff is only available if you go in through the actual application.

I’m not positive, but I think this is fairly unique in Windows Phone (i.e. that a particular Settings interface accessed from within an app is different from that same interface when accessed through Settings). I should probably investigate that.

But after all this futzing around, I finally decided to just leave it on. Call me converted, but for some reason I actually like it now.

19 Responses to Sent from my Windows Phone

1. z_williamson says:

Off topic, but I’m glad you took the time to re-theme the blog. Now if I could find someone trying to hawk the shirt somewhere… :)

2. palavering2u says:

I actually see the Sent From My iPhone or iPad as a status symbol. I don’t know how I’d feel with a Windows Phone 7 signature.

Really? You should feel like an image-conscious lemming. :)

• roteague says:

Well, now that we know that “Apple” is considered a religion, it will serve as a mark for the unconverted… :)

• fearthedonut73 says:

Although I don’t feel this way, I think Palavering2u is correct.. Some of my friends (yes, hipster types..) keep the “sent from my iPhone)” as a status symbol.

Personally, I think of tags like that as a badge of shame.. “Yes! I spend over $1,000 a year on my cell phone!!!”

3. vangrieg says:

*Shrug* I intentionally leave these signatures, and even add them myself when the device doesn’t have it by default. Apart from typos, they are also an excuse to be brief so that people don’t think you’re rude.

4. romit says:

Ha! Why not make it Windows Phone 7 and add a few hashtags while you are at it :-)

5. Mike Cerm says:

I’m definitely in the camp that thinks that “Sent from my [name of phone]” is usually a good thing. I want people to know why I’m sending a one-sentence response. Also, since the Palm Pre displays the signature as I type the body of the email, it’s pretty easy to just remove it (or change it to something funny) on a case-by-case basis.

However, I can be judgmental when it comes to these sorts of things. For example, whenever I see a “sent from my Verizon Wireless Blackberry”, I just feel bad for that person.

6. swarnock2525 says:

My Windows 6 phone does this as well so nothing new. I am in the camp that I generally leave it as I want the receipiant to know why the message was brief and contains typos. No excuse but messages are usually typed hurriedly from a mobile phone.

Now where is the talk to email function in Windows Phone 7?!? Ever since I was a kid, I would watch Commander Adama start each Battlestar Galactia by talking into his computer. I thought that day would be here by now! (along with flying cars).

7. Onno Willems says:

Woeha! I’ve said it before, but they seem to be copying all the stuff that annoyed a lot of people about the iPhone. Easy target for another “start your copiers” campaign.

Paul, if you thought it was annoying on the iPhone, how come that you now kinda like it on a Windows Phone? What made you convert?

The 2 different settings screens are slightly worrying. Though I can understand some more general settings and application specific settings to be accessible via different screens. Perhaps you can post some screenshots and see if there are more examples?

If it was annoying on the iPhone, and it’s lacking now on Windows Phone, it’s annoying on Windows Phone. Nothing has changed there.

8. ceeant says:

I think the idea of such a signature isn’t bad, but I always change it to “Sent from my mobile”.

9. roberthleeii says:

Most of the time I include the sent from iPhone signature when I send an email from my desktop email so I don’t have the worry about my grammar and spelling as much.

10. lsobrado says:

I dislike when companies make the default signature be a micro-spam message to my receivers. By this I mean I don’t want their brand to be attached to every email I sent. I’d find it unacceptable if by default outlook would attache a signature saying
    “Sent from my MS outlook 2010″.

So I don’t like all these “send from my blackberry/iphone/wp7″. IMO it should just say “sent form my phone”.

11. kadarzsolt says:

Someone can obviously use a “sent from my phone” type signature/message as an excuse for mistypes, lack of proper caps, lack of structure, short language and so on…

from here to actually leaving the brand inside the signature is only a small step.

Just a note: a message only becomes a status symbol if it is rare, or it is specific to your (social) group. Nowadays lot of people carry smartphones, so a signature saying “sent from my iPhone” actually conveys “I am part of the herd. I do what everyone else does. I follow others regardless of my interests. I am unable to make a well informed decision by myself.”

On the other hand, you can put a signature like that on a POP3 capable feature phone while using a pre-payed SIM card.

12. mrspez says:

Thank you for writing this. Helpful and well done! I couldn’t figure out on my own how to change this setting – so I’m very glad to have found this as the top search result.

Thank you.